In February 2016 I wrote my first proper bucket list. It included 30 things I wanted to complete before the end of 2016. Well, that didn’t go exactly as planned. I think I wanted to do too many things in one year. Two years later I have done almost all the things on the list. So, here is an update on what I have done from my 2016 bucket list and what I have yet to complete.
1. Graduate – Yes, I did graduate from the University of Glasgow in June 2016 (yay!). I had no idea then that I would go to the Netherlands and obtain a master’s degree from Tilburg University. I graduated there in August 2018, so I guess I can say for sure that I have done number 1 on the bucket list.
2. Visit the Isle of Skye and Glen Coe – I did that too. In May 2016, I went on the Oban tour with Rabbie’s (you can read more about it here) and I saw Glen Coe for the first time. I visited the Isle of Skye the following year in May for a 4-day trip. (Blog posts with the Isle of Skye itinerary coming soon!)
3. Go to Dublin – After 4 and a half years living in Glasgow, I moved to the Netherlands and then I visited Dublin. I guess we never visit places which are close to us, as we are thinking we could do it at any time. The plane ticket from Eindhoven wasn’t much more expensive than the one from Glasgow, so it was still a cheap getaway.
4. Go to Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – I went with two friends in April 2016 it was a reward trip for successfully submitting an undergrad dissertation.
5. Visit all Harry Potter inspired locations and movie locations – I visited Glenfinnan and saw the Harry Potter Bridge a.k.a. Glenfinnan Viaduct a few days after going to the Warner Bros. Studios. If we argue that J.K.Rowling got the inspiration for Hogwarts from the University of Glasgow, well I even studied there. And even if it was Edinburgh Castle, I have been there as well. I haven’t had the chance to visit other movie locations, so this is a good excuse to plan a Harry Potter trip.
6. Visit Edinburgh Zoo and the Royal Botanical Gardens – I did go to Edinburgh Zoo last year, but I haven’t been to the Royal Botanical Gardens yet. A trip to Edinburgh is in order.
7. Travel to one of my bucket list destinations in Bulgaria – In the summer of 2016 I went to the seaside with my mum and we visited Nesebar’s Old Town, so I can scratch that from my Bulgaria bucket list.
8. Go to a distillery – So for my graduation, my mum visited me and together we went to Auchentoshan distillery, we did the tour and tried different Auchentoshan whiskeys. I did also go to Oban Distillery on that trip to Oban, but I didn’t have time to do the tour.
9. Try ice skating – That is the first thing I did from the bucket list. Trust me, my skills haven’t improved much from that first-time ice skating.
10. Go wall climbing or bouldering – Again this is one of the things I did when I was not living in Glasgow. I came for a visit in January 2017 and my boyfriend and I finally went to the TCA climbing centre for my first lesson of bouldering.
11. Take a tennis class – I still haven’t done that, but I want to.
12. Visit the Glasgow Science Centre – After my first time there at the beginning of 2016, I went at least 5 more times. You can read more about why I like it so much here.
13. See a movie at the Cineworld IMAX at the Glasgow Science Centre – I have also been a couple of times at the Cineworld IMAX since I put it on my bucket list. The first time was in 2016, so I completed that one in time.
14. See one of my favourite musicals – Which one should be the question? I went to West Side Story a few weeks after publishing my 2016 bucket list. Later in the year, I went to Footloose as well. I have to check the programme of King’s Theatre for next year and see more of my favourite musicals.
15. Watch a Shakespeare play at the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death – I went to a performance by the Shakespeare society at Glasgow University,
16. Visit the House for an Art Lover – I went to this house with my boyfriend at the beginning of 2017.
17. Play the Live Escape Game - Also completed, as part of a team-building event at work. It was a lot of fun and you realize that you need people who are good at mathematics to do most of the job.
18. Have a lunch/dinner at Yo! Shushi - I still haven’t been there, but I have been to other places for sushi, which I now think are much better. So even if I don’t do that, I won’t regret it.
19. Brush up on my Photoshop skills – That is still an ongoing process now. Since I started my #psablogaday project, I have been learning to use Photoshop as well.
20. Learn to speak proper Italian – I took another class in October 2016 and now when I go to Italy, I speak only in Italian, slowly but I am trying.
21. Try doing a stitching card – I still haven’t done that. I will try to do it soon.
22. Volunteer somewhere – Not the typical volunteering in a shop, or being part of a campaign, but I was an ambassador for my master’s programme at Tilburg University.
23. Create a Family Tree – I honestly completely forgot that was on the list. Next time I am visiting my granny, I will try to do it.
24. Finish reading the books I’ve started (Dracula/The Earthsea Trilogy) - I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I still haven’t done that yet.
25. Read Gone with the Wind – Haven’t done that yet either.
26. Watch Gone with the Wind – That is a “no” as well.
27. Take a cooking/baking class – I went with my mum to one of her cooking classes where they were making gnocchi, so I think that counts.
28. See friends I haven’t seen in years – When I was in Holland, I met one of my childhood friends a few times, so that one was fun to do.
29. Donate clothes for a charitable cause – I took a lot of clothes to Cancer Research in the summer of 2017.
30. Send a card from a travelling destination to my family – I haven’t done that yet, but I might try to scratch it off the list during my upcoming holiday.
Bucket lists are fun, but in the future, I will try to put fewer things to do in a year as this one took me two years to complete. That being said I am planning to write a new bucket list for 2019. Do you have any suggestions for me as to what I can include this time?
P.S. Don't Read This
A girl from Bulgaria, travelling around Europe and sharing her travelling experiences! Currently living in Scotland.